Page last updated on 06 January 2017
The PC-88 was a line of Z80 based PCs released only in Japan by the NEC Corporation.
The first one of them, the PC-8801, was launched in 1981.
There were a lot of models for this line, a good and extensive summary can be found here.
The main OS for these machines was the BASIC (included with the PC
itself), but a very primitive version of MS-DOS and CP/M (the latter
supplied with the game Zork) were also available for use.
M88: maybe the most used emulator for the PC-88. It’s open source and it’s the only emulator that supports CD emulation so far.
- M88 2.21 (Japanese language)
- M88 2.21 (English language)
- M88 2.21 Source Code + CDIF files (needed for CD emulation)
- CDIF files (needed for CD emulation)
- M88 2.21 Debug version
- M88 2.21 Debug Source Code
- M88 2.21 Debug version
- M88 (unofficial build) 5 October 2011
This unofficial build improves the original M88 in many ways, adding a
lot of useful features like antialising, quick volume adjustment with
mousewheel and scaling options. Check it out.
- M88 (unofficial build) 5 October 2011 with a preconfigured setup, addon modules, FDD seek sounds and utilities.
- M88 (unofficial build) 8 December 2011.
An upgrade to the M88 latest unofficial build. If you want to upgrade
from the previous version, it’s sufficient to replace the .exe file with
the new one contained in this archive.
Also, this version of the emulator supports the MAME FM Module (click on the link to download). To enable it, edit M88.ini and add the following line: FMGenDll=mamefm.dll
- M88 (unofficial build) 4 February 2012. An upgrade to the latest unofficial build. You need to add the ENHANCED=1 line in M88.ini file. Also, CPU speed is specified in Khz instead of Mhz.
- M88 (unofficial build) 20 November 2012 with a preconfigured setup, addon modules, FDD seek sounds, non ASPI CD drivers, patches and utilities.
- M88 (unofficial build) 14 May 2013 with a preconfigured setup, addon modules, FDD seek sounds, non ASPI CD drivers, patches and utilities.
- M88 (unofficial build enchanced edition) 21 September 2016 with a base preconfigured setup, FM DLL, non ASPI CD drivers. NEW
- Documentation for the patch function present in the M88 unofficial build (in English). Contributed by Kobushi.
- Non Aspi CD drivers for M88 plus source code.
PC88 WIN: a very old and outdated emulator. However, it can be useful to run some games that M88 won’t run.
QUASI88: a very good, accurate and complete open
source emulator with some great debug functions.It got ported on the PSP
too. Unfortunately, it’s in Japanese only. To make it work, you must
put your BIOS files in the ROM folder and rename them in this way:
FONT.ROM = Font rom
N88.ROM = N88 Basic rom (32k)
N88KNJ1.ROM = Kanji 1 rom (128k)
N88KNJ2.ROM = Kanji 2 rom (128k)
N88SUB.ROM = Disk rom (2k or 8k)
Please note that the emulator is case sensitive.
- QUASI88 0.6.3 SDL Win32
- QUASI88 0.6.3 Source Code
- QUASI88 0.6.3 for UNIX Source Code
- QUASI88 0.6.3 for MAC OS9 (classic)
J80: A Java based emulator focused on the 8001 series.It’s still in development, so check out the project’s site
often! The archive contains the emulator plus all the tools listed on
the site and a copy of the site’s page (in japanese). I’ll update the
archive along with the updates on the emulator’s main site.
88VA Eternal Grafx: An emulator for the 88VA model. To be able to save states, just add “Statsave=true” (minus the ” of course) somewhere in the INI file. A new option, named “Stat” will appear between “Replay” and “FDD1”
X88000: An open source emulator focused on the
emulation of the old PC-80xx models. It’s tape emulation is far better
than the one of M88 and it’s required to play some games.
- Project’s home page
- X88000 1.5.1 (Windows) NEW
- X88000 1.5.1 source code (Windows) NEW
- X88000 1.5.1 (Linux) NEW
- X88000 1.5.1 source code (Linux) NEW
- X88000 1.4.0
- X88000 1.4.0 Source Code
- X88000 1.4.0 for LINUX Source Code
- X88000 X3 with sound board 2 support (unofficial build)
- X88000 x88x12 with sound board 2 support (unofficial build)
XM8: A new open source emulator for PC8801MA written on the basis of the ePC-8801MA emulator written by Takeda Toshiya. Currently runs on Linux,Windows and Android.
- Project’s official page NEW
- XM8 v 1.61 Build for all systems and architectures plus source code. NEW
Excite88: Another brand new emulator for the very first model of the PC8801, running on Windows (from 7 onwards). However, it’s still in infancy, according to the project’s page notes it runs only tape images in CM8 and T88 format and doesn’t support yet disk images, but it’s a feature that will be present in the future releases of the emulator. Check for updates often.
PC88SR: One of the very first PC88 emulators ever
written, with a lot of nifty functions, like the patch function (which
ended up in a M88 unofficial build too). This one runs EXCLUSIVELY on
- PC88SR (PC98)
- Documentation on the patch function (in Japanese). Thanks to Kobushi.
MESS: Standing for “Multiple Emulator Super System”,
this ambitious emulator aims to emulate properly a lot of different
systems and machines, even the NEC PC88. Since it’s in constant
development, i’ll just add the link to the project’s main page.
To run any of these emulator, you’ll need the BIOS files of the machine. I won’t supply them, so don’t ask.
D88 Manager: as the name implies, a manager for D88
images. Among the functions, you can protect/unprotect disk images and
split D88 files that contain multiple disk images.
D88 Slowinfo & D88 Viewer: Two D88 utilities
released by Peter_J. As the name imply, they are tools for analyzing,
extracting and editing data on and from .d88 disk images. Instruction
and help files are inside the archive.
XDISK: another disk images manager. It supports 88VA images too.
Here is a list of my PC-88 collections. I’ve divided it in several
.txt files. Please remember that you will need to be able to read
japanese characters in your text editor in order to read them properly.
- Peter J Pack A pack containing games, softwares and a lot of documents and extras. All the file names are in western characters.
- Newimg Share A collection of recently dumped PC-80 images.
- PC88 1240 Set A set of 1240 disk images. Japanese characters only.
- PC88 2220 Set A set of 2220 disk images.
- PC88 1840 Set A set of 1840 disk images.
- PC88 Megapack A set of various stuff. A lot of names are in Japanese characters, others are in western characters but with shortened names.
- 88 Soft Collection A huge collection of PC-80 and PC-88 games and software.
- Romanized set A big collection of games that have got their names fully romanized.
- TOSEC Sets + DATs The most recent TOSEC set with DAT files
- PC80 Collection A collection of PC80 stuff.
- CD Games Collection CD games that I own
- Old Tape Games Brought to Floppies Collection A set of D88 images, each filled with old tape games.
- Four more games Four more PC-88 games, some of them brought from tape to disk.
- PC88 Game Library (html version). It’s the most complete PC88 catalogue so far. Japanese language.
- PC88 Game Library (ISO version). It’s the most complete PC88 catalogue so far, collected on a single and nice CD. Japanese language.
- Neo Kobe and other new stuff. A list of new packs, games, utilities and other PC-80 and PC-88 related material that I’ve found across the net.